Question Building A Village Wall... How Does One Make It Look Nice?

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by Lord Arrani, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Lord Arrani

Lord Arrani Athion Member Athion Member

I seem to have run into a slight problem with a build I'm working on. I'm not entirely sure how to go about walling in my village. Any chance that you guys know how to do walls nicely? Below is what I have right now, but I'm not a huge fan of it.
    [​IMG]

2. Styx

Styx Athion Member Athion Member

I'd try working a bit more with layers, seems a bit 2D to me. You can use this for an example if you'd like, though it's not the best representation of layering in walls, didnt have much time to make it.

Attached Files:

3. HumanBeing101

HumanBeing101 Athion Member Athion Member

Agreed with liam. Give your wall some more depth/pizzaz. Throw in a greater variety of blocks. Utilize stairs, slabs, and cobblestone walls to make things pop.

You should give your village a theme color. I have been working for a long time on my citadel in Mithrintia, and I've focused on the central color of green. It's great to see walls with some color in it, as opposed a wall made solely out of wood based or stone based blocks.

I would definitely heighten the walls. Thickening the walls may also seem like a decent choice, as that may come in handy in the future (a thick wall).

How about adding a flag to that tower in the foreground (a flag centered around your theme color). That would make your village seem more prosperous/dynamic.

4. Andrew

Andrew Athion Build Team Athion Build Team

not agreeing with fence under the wall.

5. HumanBeing101

HumanBeing101 Athion Member Athion Member

Another thing. The wall needs to have a sense of strength and rigidity. The fence being there doesn't seem right primarily because it robs the wall of said feeling of strength/rigidity. If you can make the wall seem graceful with the fence at the base, so be it. But that isn't the case here.

6. Lord Arrani

Lord Arrani Athion Member Athion Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm still not finished, but here's an updated picture.
    [​IMG]

I'm working on that in particular. The idea was that its supposed to be a sort of drainage system to prevent water from building up at the low lying base of the wall. Regardless, I do see your point and have replaced the thin row of fence with iron bars and some additional fence outside of that.

That's an interesting thought. I'm not certain whether I should do this with this particular town, given that it's supposed to look somewhat decrepit and bleak. If I added a signifying color, it might break that gloomy feel. Any ideas?

And yes, I am indeed working on the depth.

7. tonicel

tonicel Athion Member Athion Member

Much better now :D try to place slabs on top of the logs! You can't Just leave them like that, that's Just...Meh ;)

8. ballinking

ballinking Athion Member Athion Member

perfect!