Guide Becoming A Better Builder - Depth.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by n00bpwners, Jul 13, 2015.

?

Would you like to see more tutorials from me?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. n00bpwners

n00bpwners Athion Member Athion Member

What is Wall Depth?
    Wall Depth is an important criteria in building structures such as houses and buildings. It also happens to be one of the rather important requirements for ranking up in the training grounds. Lots of people struggle with building with wall depth as they focus too much on "Is this wall depth" or "Is this good enough" when the really all you need for depth is for it to look good.

Without further ado, I'll be showing a tutorial to turn your poopy flat walls into detailed, layered walls that look amazing.
    Note: By no means I'm an amazing builder, so if some of the builds in this thread look bad to you, I"m sorry.

Step-by-step Tutorial
    I'll be explaining this really clearly with pictures, just so its easy for "newcomers" to understand what I'm trying to get across. I'll start with this image of a basic, flat wall with a window. Its currently 5x5x1 and its pretty plain, only consisting of two block types, wood and brown clay. (Iron Bars count as decorations.)
    [​IMG]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    I begin by adding some trapdoors alongst the sides of the windows for extra detail and realism and to allow more room for possibilities with depth and detail, I then proceed with extending the logs so their one block protruding now, just like the picture below.​
    [​IMG]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    This is a very important part of adding wall depth - Using stairs and slabs! If done correctly, stairs and slabs can completely change the outcome of the build! Really any design or pattern works, as long as it fits the theme and looks good. But for this tutorial, I'll just do a simple yet striking stair/ slab design, as shown below.​
    [​IMG]

I then proceed by adding some block variation within the stained clay, for extra detail. As you can see, the wall is starting to look good :)!​
    [​IMG]

For even more detail, I'll be adding a plant with the standard trapdoor + dirt. Working with depth really allows unlimited possibilities for detail, and that makes it such fun!​
    [​IMG]

As you saw from the last picture/ the picture above, I'm kind of running out of space to work with, so I proceed by protruding the logs even more so its 1 block forward from the last picture now.​
    [​IMG]

With the extra logs now, I start by placing a spruce wood stair on top of it for some block variation in the wood area, and some wooden buttons on the side of the log for some extra detail and realism.​
    [​IMG]

We're nearly done now, just bear with me! For some positive depth to match up for the bottom part extending so much more than the top, I place some stairs and fences on the logs as shown below.​
    [​IMG]

To finish off, I add some slabs on the bottom for extra detail!​
    [​IMG]

Here is a comparison between the wall we started off with, and the wall we ended up with just 9 simple steps later!​
    [​IMG]
    See how much better depth and detail makes your builds look???

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed and found this tutorial I put together useful!
    Feel free to tell me if I made any errors and if you would like to, go ahead and post an image of your wall depth you included inside one of your builds to show to other fellow builders!

Thanks @rs_nor for helping me with depth ideas

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Nyroc and Styx like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Athion Member Athion Member

Nice little tutorial you've made.

One thing to note, is that it is possible to over detail which is something to look out for, such as, if you removed the trap doors from the wall and also the buttons, I think you'd get much more of a "clean" look which is more appealing to the eye when used in a larger build.

Nice start though, thank you for putting the time into making this - maybe you should talk to TrigaJoules and get some kind of collab going!

-Jonesy

Nyroc, n00bpwners and TrigaJoules like this.