Request / Suggestion Plot Backstories And You

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by TheSquish, Mar 22, 2015.

?

Does this sound like a good idea?

Poll closed Jun 22, 2015.
  1. Yes

88.9%
  2. No

11.1%
  1. TheSquish

TheSquish I'm pretty much a scummy stinker Guest

Howdy folks,
    This idea may be a shot in the dark, but it's worth asking. I know there are a lot of writers and aspiring authors on the internet, and some might be reading this very post. The suggestion I bring today is regarding the implementation of a new command : ./ap story . This would allow the user to create a backstory for their plot and other users would be able to read it. This could be in either in the form of a generated book or simply saved to a message that appears every time a user types the command.

Usage would be simple commands such as:
    ./ap story create <text> : Creates the back story for a user's plot.
    ./ap story read : Reads the story.

TrigaJoules, Styx, Nufy709 and 2 others like this.
  2. wrightrj

wrightrj Athion Member Athion Member

Sounds like a clever idea! :D

VoxVitae likes this.
  3. dordsor21

dordsor21 Athion Admin Athion Admin

The problem with this is the max count of letters/digits etc in a message, so typing a backstory could become very complicated and time consuming as many commands will need to be used, however it is a nice concept.

4. dayvasdayv

dayvasdayv Athion Build Team Athion Build Team

That would have worked great in place of the 20 page book I left at my designer plot that can only be read by mods. So...sounds like a neat feature to add if possible.

5. alaiwe

alaiwe Athion Member Athion Member

Personally I would disagree For 2 reasons. 1. The mine craft character count may mean they need to create a million comments as dordsor has said. 2. A build/plot should be able to tell a story without the need of written words. The more you see of the story of the build without words the better it would be. But that's just a personal take on things. It's a nice idea (wow very contradictory) but would require a lot of work to put in and overall wouldn't be worth the effort 《sowwy》

-Ala

TheSquish likes this.
  6. dayvasdayv

dayvasdayv Athion Build Team Athion Build Team

I was thinking a better method would be to use the command to invoke a book and quill type interface that allows for longer character strings than the standard chat/command line. The plot owner typing the command would allow for creation/editing. Visitors using the command could read the story. Such a backstory would never be a replacement for a good build. It would only serve to make the environment richer and more interactive. You can build a nice statue that seems of importance to the people that live in the village, but that doesn't explain why it is important to them. You can build Crazy Bob an isolated cabin in the woods but you can't really build something to explain the reason that Crazy Bob lives in the mountains all alone.

7. sycoinc

sycoinc Athion Admin Athion Admin

still be limited to amount of text a user can see or read on a screen, best way is if it was an automated book given after it was written to users who issue a command on your plot

wrightrj and dayvasdayv like this.
  8. TrigaJoules

TrigaJoules Athion Member Athion Member

I think it could work, and is a very nice addition to plots. Although we would need some sort of profanity filter and some form of limit (50 book pages for example) to keep storage size down. Other than that great idea :D