Poll Would There Be Interest In Another Free World?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Steblam, Jan 2, 2015.

?

Would you like an Open World to build in that is accessible upon reaching the rank of Designer?

1. Yes! - I'd love to build with my friends and not be limited by plots!

85.9%
  2. No! - I prefer the professional and individual aspects of building in plots!

14.1%
  1. Lilgeeza

Lilgeeza Athion Member Athion Member

I'm going to be truthfull, but since Athion started I have not even tried to up my rank, I built with friends in the freebuild (plot freebuild of course) but I never cared much for getting a higher rank, I had no motivation. But if there were a more accessible freebuild terrain world, I would definitely have a reason to work for that rank. And coming from PI, I know I and a lot of my friends loved nothing more than working on vast cities together, huge buildings that flowed with the land, things that could never be re-created in the confines of a flat plain plot, if that could be brought back, Athion will have re-gained the charm that was found in PI and Mith.

You asked for opinions, here's mine.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    Oregton likes this.
  2. sycoinc

sycoinc Athion Admin Athion Admin

(if if if) it happens i personally more than likely would want to see it in Freebuild, as its working with friends in an open world... which is how freebuild is designed for the plot world currently... putting it in training grounds as a new world would not benefit team building as to gain a rank you need to solo build (currently) in there.

Big responses to this and prior to this we have discussed the need for it... as we get into this and coming months we will be loking into a whole lot of things for the network to get it to what we wished and what was promised.

3. rsp

rsp Athion Member Athion Member

Yo, lemme in on this,

If this were to happen I would agree with Chris (@Greytopher) and want this tied to the TG worlds. If we were to have an open world entirely disconnected to the ranking/permissions system it would:
    1. Die immediately just as the current free build has. There would be a huge groan that we finally got an open world, but that it is completely useless to our goals of gaining more permissions that allow us (non-moderator players) to build more awesome things, in less time, than we could before. A big part of getting more perms is expanding your building horizons. A big part of getting open world is expanding your building horizons. They must go hand in hand or it'll take a month to make something (and with the general procrastination in minecraft players, never finish anything.)
    2. OR, everyone would go on it and completely abandon the TG worlds. Nobody would care at all about gaining permissions, they would just build on the open world. And, because nobody has permissions it turn into a /warp nowhere (an old Pwego "noob" area) filled with horrible pink cloth homes and dirt towers to sky-limit. There would still be the groan though, as there would absolutely no reward for finishing your builds in open world besides MAYBE someone teleporting and saying "cool". Which leads me to think that the first point would be more true. There'd be no incentive, leaving a dead world.
    Personally, I just think we could delete designer and creator world, open up TG5, renamed as TG3, and designer + builds there. The plots are so big on those worlds terraforming them without voxel is pretty dang crazy. Terraforming existing land to fit a specific idea is much better than started from flat land. And if you need flat land? //set air. By removing two worlds we open up more server ram to host an open world as well, and we create an achievable goal. Designer, while challenging for the worst of builders to attain is not impossible. We could raise the standards just a slight bit, to make it more prestigious, while giving a much larger portion of the community access to open world. There is still a sense of urgency and achievement to get to the open world. It is extended from the PI formula, where you began in plots, as a testing area. On Athion, we call it a training area.

Furthermore, having two worlds, the second having more difficult standards (to show you have skill/dedication/value as a player/get to know the community/prove you aren't a serial killer/etc) is not too much of a hardship. Having a regulated open world, meaning extremely terrible buildings being cleaned up would inspire people to do their best and not dirty up the open world as often happens. Freebuild would still be around for general troll/goofing off type builds. With good moderation and community respect, along with minimal anti grief plugins, a solid open world could be ran. PI was hardly griefed, if ever, after the introduction of the first plotworld. Mean people just didn't want to/have the skill to get passed.

As Athion staff, I understand my position in the team and in no way ask for further unrest over this topic, but this healthy discussion is great. We, as a team, are working very hard to provide awesome things for you guys, and I know personally I'm working very hard to keep the community we have, and the worlds we have at this time, clean, fun, and enjoyable for as many people as possible. Keep in mind, many of our staff team have families of their own, full time jobs outside of Athion, and college to deal with, but I promise you we will not let you fall to the wayside! Awesome things will surely come in the future.

Ryan

4. MungoMango

MungoMango Athion Member Athion Member

I prefer plots. Mabye we could have an open world and a regular rank world?

rsp likes this.
  5. Unholydeath7856

Unholydeath7856 Athion Member Athion Member

u r cool

rsp likes this.
  6. Oregton

Oregton Athion Member Athion Member

well im not big on building plots.. but this server deffinitaly need to appeel to the pwego building side.. (hence the free open world)

7. sycoinc

by the votes, its not just the old PI players wanting it

rsp likes this.
  8. wrightrj

wrightrj Athion Member Athion Member

Sorry if this was said in a previous comment but can we rank up in this Freebuild world?

9. gro9988

gro9988 Athion Member Athion Member

these guys who voted for not addin a free world, ima be honest, youre imo not thinking logically, bc even thou the plots might make you want to keep on going to reach openworld, its just like most servers, theres almost no server that ive found that got open world anymore, ive only been finding plot servers, and it feels like the plots have made us forget why we even build, to have fun and create, its become a competition and a race to rankup instead, and it feels like we cant focus on having fun while training and building, and if its no fun no one will want to continue to do it, it bercomes a job. im only speakin from personal feelings and some observations.

Gravenfire45 and 921Jack like this.
  10. rsp

If you're referencing the Freebuild world that exists now, no you cannot.

wrightrj likes this.
  11. wrightrj

Let me clarify, I was refering to the open world (IF IF IF) xD it's implemented, could you rank up in that open world?

rsp likes this.
  12. sycoinc

that would be something the admin team discuss options for... if it does happen means a rework of requirements for solo open world building and group... (if if if)

rsp likes this.
  13. wrightrj

The future:

1. New world implemented... ranking up is possible there
    2. Not many people use the plots so the worlds were shut down
    3. The server turns into PI, domination is close! >:D

Also, (if if if) the new world were implemented, I think there should be 1 world for one half of the ranks, and one world for the other, silly idea imo but just a thought

14. rsp

The only thing here is that there is a considerable amount of the population who enjoy plots (They've grown on me for sure).
    So plots aren't going fully away! Even if an open world is opened for any purpose. Yay!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  15. sycoinc

more options more players

rsp likes this.
  16. Styx

Styx Athion Member Athion Member

I'll throw my opinion on this I suppose.

I agree with RSP and Greytopher, it should be in TG world but the question is, what rank would get to build there. In my opinion, it should be a creator/grand creator thing, I think designer is just a bit too low of a rank to get it.

However, this keep everyone in TG worlds, ignoring free build. That is why, I think contests, user made or staff made should be done there.

17. Greytopher

Greytopher Athion Member Athion Member

I don't know, I think Designer is still a high bar to jump to. It shows that players are competent with their builds and should be rewarded; Creator and GC are very hard ranks to get by. Just by having an open world within reach of some players will really give them incentive to build!

Oregton likes this.
  18. Popcorn

Popcorn Athion Member Athion Member

Liam, rsp..aren't you guys forgetting what rank today's designers were back on PI? I was superior on PI and now I am designer, if you remember what kind of rank superior rank was back on PI then you can try and reconsider your ''too low of a rank for freebuild''. I mean come on.. lol. And if designer rank was equivalent to the rank of superior, it should already be hard to get, right rsp? I get it that they are new ranks and maybe diff req but I feel like you guys still haven't figured them out completely.

Anyways..I feel like all of this stuff should've been discussed a long, long while ago. Why wasn't the community asked this question from the very beginning? Actually, I felt like some things weren't even needed to be asked, like..ofc a whole community from PI would love to have an open world with maybe their builds transfered that they can finish.

I don't know about anyone else but I think the system on PI was perfect. I was hoping athion would have the best from both of PI and mith (I don't know what mith was like, what it had to offer). Everyone from PI knows what was best in it (free build world and it's system were one of it). That's what I was looking forward to, I was looking forward to a stronger community, finishing my builds, lots of events and contests (part of a strong community) and all kinds of new exciting things added that we were told.

I'm sorry for sounding so disappointed and harsh but that's the way it is. I am not doubting the staff team is working hard or they're busy or whatever. I will just finish with saying that we're living in a fast world where people don't like to wait around and move on quickly. It's just frustrating to see all of these things being resolved now when I feel they should've been resolved a long time ago and constantly hearing if if if if or maybe or we will or you will.

I will keep waiting and hearing myself and others saying IF or WILL but I am slowly losing hope. I might never finish my old builds on a server with people I loved to play with or I might never even finish them in single player world because I never got my schematics, because IF, MAYBE, WILL.

Sorry if all of this sounds like some kind of whining or counter-productive thing to the community but I have to express my thoughts. I hope these words don't make the staff team or anyone else feel discouraged. I know the staff team and everyone are trying to make the best community, can we FINALLY do it? Let this not be a discouragement but motivation for the future.

19. rsp

We as a staff team thank you for all of the input you guys have given us! This thread has been very useful to the formation of the things coming. Your active engagement as a community is awesome. Please remember though that this threads purpose is purely information, not a debate or expression of grievances. If anyone wants to create a debate thread I would advise starting a separate thread. Thanks!

Steblam and Styx like this.
  20. Oregton

Oregton Athion Member Athion Member

Soooo.. since Movie and syc are stepiing down what does this mean for that free open world!?!? ive been waiting for that to come out since u guys said u wold be working on it... if they is going to be no free world then ill be really really mad and disapointed here..