Poll Complex Floor Pattern

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ☞ The Guy ☜, Oct 30, 2014.

?

Would this look good?

1. Yay!

71.4%
  2. Nay...

28.6%
  1. ☞ The Guy ☜

☞ The Guy ☜ Athion Member Athion Member

So I made this pattern (it melted my brain trying to get it to work) and I think I'd use it to make a floor (possibly a ceiling), the basic idea is that there is one simple shape that tessellates over and over again. So what do people think? I know it's not vertically symmetrical so if needs be I may need to make a symmetrical version.
    Tesalating greyscale pattern blah.png

HumanBeing101 and TrigaJoules like this.
  2. gibaxd

gibaxd Athion Member Athion Member

I think you might damage your brain trying to make this into a ceiling/floor.

3. ☞ The Guy ☜

yeah thats my problem

4. Nothing_New

Nothing_New Athion Build Team Athion Build Team

That'd actually be fairly easy to reciprocate however it's a bit too 'crowded' as a floor pattern, there's too much going on. I tend to keep my own floors simple to create an area where your eyes can rest, or using a pattern that serves the same purpose. A very repetitive and compacted pattern like this would mash into any detailed walls to create a very confronting image to the eyes, unless you were to use very similar coloured blocks, or mixed a pattern with more similar blocks and some that contrast more with the others. For example the black sections could be more of a grey towards the outside (similar to the other grey blocks to rest the eye) but the ones through the middle could be a different colour to add a bit of interest to draw the eye.
    Otherwise, I really do like the pattern, see how you go with it.

:athion small icon:

5. Nothing_New

Nothing_New Athion Build Team Athion Build Team

Also, forgive me if I'm wrong but this thread might be in the wrong forum section. This section would be for players suggestions to us; the network, staff and team. You might want to have ideas like this in the Build Showcase or even General Chat forum sections.

6. ☞ The Guy ☜

Thanks for pointing that out! Yeah that's made me think of an idea of a build to use it on, I'm thinking a large, Halo-esque, space ship. Very cuboidy and boxy with a detailed outer surface.

7. HydraTyphoon

HydraTyphoon Athion Member Athion Member

I think a tower or an hourglass would be great with this design if it was on the outside. Although you would have to add a little variation/3d elements to it, I think it would turn out pretty well.