Question A Bit Of An Inquiry

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by itsDeformed, Nov 30, 2014.

1. itsDeformed

itsDeformed Athion Member Athion Member

Hello, folks. A bit of background about myself: my name is DeformedYZ, I'm 15, and I've been building for roughly three months now. My skills have progressively and steadily developed over that time, although I've been too shy to conquer the feat of megabuilding. Deciding that now was as good a time as any, I started my first megabuild today.

Now, it's too early to call it progress, but that's not what I'm here for. I'm here for a few things, but most notably are these two questions I'm plagued with:

- How do I make the shape?

Boxes are just so overdone, and that really is too easy. I feel like I'm a decent enough of a builder that I can move on from those days and at least try something other than a box. But, what shape would fit? I'm building kind of an olden style of castle, so I'm not sure where to go from there.

- Detailing: how is it done?

Ye gads, if there's one thing I'm good at, it's overdetailing. I tend to overdetail the simplest of projects and overlook the necessity of depth. For this project, I've been trying to focus on depth while still applying strong details (although, in my opinion, too many.)

What I'm quite interested in knowing, in addition to how to create the shape, is how my detailing is so far. As aforementioned, I feel it is pretty overdetailed and heavy. The outer walls, I feel, are perhaps bare-bone acceptable, but the inner walls could perhaps be too heavy.

I'm also noting that there is a strong abundance of stone, so I'm interested in hearing what other blocks I should add. I've delayed doing that to this point because palette forming is not one of my stronger fields and I figured it was best to leave it to those who can successfully do it.

Anyway, here's what I've done so far. As I said, not much, but hey - the sooner the feedback is broken to me, the better I can form this build and more to come!
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, I relied heavily on stairs and slabs to kind of make the detail "flow", especially on the outsides. The inner walls look quite cluttered though, especially near that bottom segment. I added windows as focal points of sort, and I felt the black panes looked especially nice with those muted tones.

Anyway, all feedback is acceptable, although I'll especially look forward to hearing from those who have experience in megabuilding. Since this was also my first post, I guess this is also an introductory post, albeit a bit odd...? So nice to meet you all, and I hope to see you all on the server once it opens.

~ DeformedYZ

2. HumanBeing101

HumanBeing101 Athion Member Athion Member

Stained clays are a good place to start if you want color. I think you should look into how to make flags of wool, for more color.

Wood goes quite nicely with stone, to utilize logs, planks, and fences.

Over detailing isn't bad. Keep doing it, there's really not much wrong with seemingly excessive detailing.

In terms of shape, yes a box is in most cases, too bland. Try looking up other mega builds, and gain inspiration from those.

You can try using quartz, but with this much stone brick, it may be a gamble. Regular bricks may work nicely as well.

Try blending in some more cobblestone.

Hope that helped! Mega builds are hard to do, and I've spent months on mine in Mithrintia (slowly lost motivation, work efficiency decreased greatly, etc.) Hope you pull through to make something epic!

3. itsDeformed

itsDeformed Athion Member Athion Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Sadly, I have to compose this on a tablet, so I'll keep it short and sweet.

- Will definitely be adding flags. I can confirm this. I'll likely be looking to place them up at the top at regular points.

- That's definitely a possibility. But, due to me going for an older style, I'll likely try and minimize it and keep it as muted as possible (while still attempting to add color). This could be worth some expirementation.
    - We'll see. I've heard this before, but I've also heard some very contrasting opinions about it, too.
    - Noted.
    - Personally, I hate quartz in almost any build... I find it difficult to utilize and it can't really be adapted into many themes. I'm not really too inclined to try anything with it.
    - Yeah, cobblestone seems to be the way to go.